On the basis of the thought and principles of Mahatma Jotiba Phule, Karl Marx, Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar and women’s liberationists throughout the world, the thought and principles of Shramik Mukti Dal have been founded. With the dream of permanently ending the established capitalist system and patriarchal, casteist exploitative relations, and relations of class exploitation, and establishing in their place an ecologically balanced, decentralized and prosperous society, Shramik Mukti Dal in the last 33 years has undertaken a unique struggle.
During this period Shramik Mukti Dal has not simply given a negative critique of the established system and its state and government, but has put forward an alternative for the creation of a new alternative society. Because of this, it has put forward unique alternatives in regard to an alternative water policy, equitable water distribution, drought eradication, windmill energy, ultramodern ecologically balanced decentralized industries, people’s forest, developmental rehabilitation, the annihilation of caste, and women’s liberation. These are alternatives which will not only give an immediate happy life for toiling people but take a step towards their liberation. In the struggle for the implementation of these alternatives thousands of toilers, working men and women have taken part. Now the time has come to take a leap even beyond this. Leaping forward in the economic, social and cultural aspects, all toiling sections should leave their differences aside and take up the “Mahatma Phule Vision 2014” as an alternative; this is what this conference is bringing forward.
“Mahatma Phule Vision -2014” means a dream for an exploitation-free and ecologically balanced society going towards human liberation. But this dream is a dream for a direct alternative with feet on the ground. This dream is not one that will be established sometime in the future but will be brought from today. From today itself it will be brought forward. The various parts of this dream are as follows:
- Creating a cohesive process that brings together mode of production, social relations, production relations, cultural relations, culture, art, that will go towards ending exploitation based on class, caste, gender, race, and religion. This process should start from today.
- As part of this process, struggling for establishing decentralized and collectively controlled industries for those who are part of this new production process.
*These industries should not be tied to any one caste, religion, race or gender. These should have the form of expanding human creative capacity.
- These industries should have the basis of being increasing ecological balance and resulting in an enriched environment.
- It becomes extremely necessary for natural resources such as water, land, wind, sunlight, sound waves, light waves, forest, and ocean be under the all-around and direct management of the people. Therefore a strong struggle will be given against their monopoly and privatization. Such collective control will start from today.
- From today, constructive activity and struggle will be undertaken for changing today’s system which is dependent on nonrenewable raw materials or energy sources and bringing forward a process based on continually recreated sources and raw materials.
(3) To completely annihilate the caste system a long-term program will be implemented.
- To undertake a consciousness-raising campaign to encourage inter-caste marriages. To build a societal and organizational system to protect who have made inter-caste marriages.
- Searching for and generalizing caste-free festivals, ceremonies, and cultural rituals.
- Searching for new production processes which will be caste free and a means of ending caste hierarchy; and struggling for establishing industries based on such processes. Refusing programs of government benefits.
- Establishing caste-free collective and equalitarian control over land,water and other natural resources.
(4) Ending women’s exploitation, and implementing a program of complete freedom for individual choice in sexual relations.
- Ending the practice that women should do “women’s work”, a process will begin to see that women will in all fields be able to play a leading role and their exploitation in the family and social relations and cultural fields will be ended.
- Establishing women’s general leading role in decentralized industries built on the basis of natural resources such as wind, sunlight, forests, water, and agriculture.
- Giving encouragement and protection to inter-caste and love marriages.
(5) Building a special consciousness=raising and organizational campaign in order that an alternative culture and art should be created out of social churning from movements.
- Up to now the cultural movement has been limited to creating progressive singing groups, theater, and movies. But with such limitations it is impossible to defeat brahmanic, religious fundamentalist and capitalist-imperialist and casteist culture and create a completeloy new human liberationist culture.
The process of history has given a heritage of human liberationist cultural practices, newly created cultural relations; from this mixture and people’s spontaneous participation will be born the new, enriched human liberationist culture and art of society. It is start this process from today.
Humans don’t live only on the basis of necessary things such as “bread, clothes, shelter.” From the time of the first humans, culture and art have been inseparable part of living as a human being. Therefore,
- Agricultural culture, which is a culture for creating a new world for humans, is even today living in a changed form. It has been influenced by class differences, caste differences, gender differences and exploitation. A special campaign will be undertaken with people’s participation to remove these influences, and join it to modern times and creating a new culture aligned with the current cultural environment. Bendur and Pola, Adivasi’s diwali, the nine day ghat festival, the festival of ganvyavastha, and other festivals will be implemented on a general basis.
- New festivals of equality and human liberation to create cultural situation giving birth new celebrations will be done generally.
- There will be a special effort to expand street plays as an art form. Experiments will be done to give stage plays a popular and participatory form.
A special program will be implemented to give encouragement to the creation of stories, novels, poetry, paintings and sculptures capable of going towards human liberation.
- If all these aspects are implanted separately it will fragment the collectivity of human life. Human life is a collective life of a unity of all these parts. Therefore, a united and collective movement for change that brings together all these parts and becomes a movement of a “united people” will have to be built.
This is the Mahatma Phule Vision 2014.
The vision of the establishment is one that continues exploitation, pollution, ill health, poverty, and scarcity. The “Mahatma Phule Vision 2014” of the toilers is for freedom from exploitation, health, ecological balance, prosperity and plenty. The struggle between these two visions will now be more clear and wide. Shramik Mukti Dal is taking a new leap to challenge the establishment with the call for a “Mahatma Phule Vision 2014.